This is a professional position responsible for administering comprehensive fitness, group fitness, personal training and wellness programming functions within the Campus Recreation Department. Supervises assigned staff, including student and graduate assistants. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This is a security-sensitive position. Reports to the director of Campus Recreation.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates assigned staff, including student and graduate assistants.
2. Coordinates comprehensive campus recreation fitness and wellness programming functions, including coordinating revenue- and non-revenue-based private programming.
3. Plans, develops, promotes, implements, and evaluates events and programs related to the area of responsibility, including group fitness classes, personal training and fitness assessments, mind/body classes, massage therapy and blood drives.
4. Develops, implements and monitors the effectiveness of fitness and wellness initiatives.
5. Monitors fitness program and wellness program annual budgets and payroll functions.
6. Maintains fitness and wellness areas and program equipment.
7. Educates university faculty and staff, students and the general public about the area of responsibility and related programs provided by the Campus Recreation department.
8. Researches and applies new knowledge and techniques to current policies, procedures and operations.
9. Promotes program and operational retention and effectiveness through on-going assessment, intervention, evaluation and participant feedback.
10. Serves as liaison to university faculty and staff, student organizations, external organizations and/or vendors, and the general public.
Other Job Functions:
1. Serves on university and departmental committees related to the area of responsibility.
2. Coordinates and/or assists with special events related to the area of responsibility as necessary.
3. Works evenings, nights and weekends as required.
4. Performs other related duties as assigned.
For more information and to apply, visit the SFA Employment website at http://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/2125 For Coordinator: One year of related experience is required. Experience in fitness and wellness programming in a collegiate setting is required. Personal trainer and/or group fitness certification is required. Experience in group exercise, personal training, mind/body and massage-therapy programming is preferred. Supervisory experience is preferred. CPR, First Aid, AED and BBP certifications are required within three months of employment. Bachelor's degree in recreation management, sports management, health, exercise science, kinesiology or a related field is required. Master's degree is preferred. For possible Assistant Director: Three years of related experience is required. Experience in fitness and wellness programming in a collegiate setting is required. Personal trainer and/or group fitness certification is required. Experience in group exercise, personal training, mind/body programming is required. Supervisory experience is required. CPR, First Aid, AED and BBP certifications are required within three months of employment. Master's degree in recreation management, sports management, health, exercise science, kinesiology or a related field is required. Additional requirements for either position:1. Knowledge of, or the ability to learn, university policies and procedures. 2. Knowledge of professional standards and regulations. 3. Skill in using computer applications including spreadsheet, database and word-processing software. 4. Ability to plan, implement and evaluate programs. 5. Ability to identify problems, evaluate alternatives and recommend effective solutions. 6. Ability to exercise sound judgment in making decisions. 7. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form. 8. Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships. 9. Ability to set priorities and complete assignments on time. 10. Ability to train and supervise others. 11. Ability to obtain CPR, First Aid, AED and BBP certifications within three months of employment. 12. Ability to work evenings, nights and weekends as necessary.
Additional Salary Information: For more information and to apply, visit the SFA Employment website at http://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/2125
Internal Number: E99822
About Stephen F. Austin State University
Stephen F. Austin State University offers nearly 50 graduate degrees, including two doctoral programs, and enrolls approximately 13,000 students. SFA’s beautiful campus is located in the quaint town of Nacogdoches, Texas which has approximately 32,000 residents. Located two hours north of Houston in the Pineywoods of East Texas, Nacogdoches has a low cost of living and a moderate climate with year-round recreational opportunities.