The Campus Recreation mission is to enhance the quality of life of our unique members by educating and encouraging active participation in recreational opportunities that develop leadership skills, foster social interaction, and reinforce healthy behaviors.
The Graduate Assistant for Facilities will gain valuable experience working in the 170,000 sq. ft. Student Fitness Center and McCormick Hall (SFCM). Working under the supervision of the Coordinator-Facilities, the Graduate Assistant will play a significant role in the administration of the Facilities program. In addition, the Graduate Assistant will assist in the overall operations of the comprehensive facility by serving as a leader and liaison to the student facility team. Questions specific to the position may be directed to David Kirk, Coordinator-Facilities, email@example.com, (309) 438-0697.
Applicants must qualify for admission to the Illinois State University Graduate School. Learn more about applying at http://grad.illinoisstate.edu/admission/.
- To be considered for a graduate assistantship, a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate work is required and completion of the GRE.
- Must also apply and be admitted to the School of Kinesiology and Recreation (KNR). Learn more about the KNR application process at http://kinrec.illinoisstate.edu/graduate/.
- All candidates should have an interest in recreation as a career, and pursue a graduate degree within the School of Kinesiology and Recreation.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation, Physical Education or related field preferred.
- Possess and maintain a current American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Certification or willingness to obtain.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and communication skills, both verbal and written, are expected.
- The position requires someone who is willing to work in a team environment and uphold our quality standards and values.
The Graduate Assistant will assist the Assistant Director-Facilities and the two Coordinators-Facilities in the overall administration of the Facilities program. Specific duties include:
- Hire, train, evaluate, schedule, and monitor entry-level student facilities team of approximately 40 students.
- Implement and maintain policies and procedures, including risk management, customer service, and student team development.
- Participate in the daily facility operations of the SFC, including maintaining storage rooms; performing maintenance, cleaning, and repair work; set-up and supervision for special events; and maintain records, supplies, and equipment inventories.
- Serve as an instructor for American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid classes for Campus Recreation team members.
- Collaborate with other Campus Recreation team members and assist with department events as needed.
- Develop and implement a recreation program utilizing budget management, marketing, staff management, and assessment of the program as part of the Graduate Assistant annual project.
- Graduate Assistant schedule may include nights and weekends based on program needs.
- Other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary by the department.
August 1, 2017 to May 15, 2018. Graduate Assistant is expected to adhere to the University Administrative Calendar. Two-year assistantship available, pending satisfactory performance.
$1256/month for 9 1/2 months, plus 12-month tuition fellowship for in-state and out-of-state students. Student is required to pay student fees.
May 1, 2017 or until position is filled.
Interested applicants must visit the Human Resources website at www.jobs.IllinoisState.edu: www.jobs.ilstu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=71593. Any questions regarding the application process, please contact Valerie Deal, Graduate Assistant Coordinator, Campus Recreation, firstname.lastname@example.org, (309) 438-7058.
For additional information please visit our website at www.campusrecreation.illinoisstate.edu.