The Campus Recreation mission is to enhance the quality of life of our unique members by educating and encouraging active participation in recreational opportunities that develop leadership skills, foster social interaction, and reinforce healthy behaviors.
The Sport Club Program consists of 31 clubs and more than 1,100 student participants. Clubs include Ice Hockey, Equestrian, Fishing, Handball, Water Polo and more. With the state-of-art 170,000 sq. ft. Student Fitness Center and McCormick Hall, in addition to the Gregory Street Fields Complex and Horton activity spaces, our clubs are provided excellent opportunities for practice and competition. Questions specific to the position may be directed to Kelsey Orrill, Coordinator-Sport Clubs, email@example.com, (309) 438-2577.
Applicants must qualify for admission to the Illinois State University Graduate School. Learn more about applying at http://grad.illinoisstate.edu/admission/.
- To be considered for a graduate assistantship, a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate work is required and completion of the GRE.
- Must apply and be admitted to the School of Kinesiology and Recreation (KNR). Learn more about the KNR application process at http://kinrec.illinoisstate.edu/graduate/.
- All candidates should have an interest in recreation as a career, and pursue a graduate degree within the School of Kinesiology and Recreation.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation, Physical Education or related field preferred.
- Experience in Sport Clubs, program management or student development preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License and/or ability to obtain valid Driver’s License required.
- Possess and maintain a current American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Certification or willingness to obtain.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and communication skills, both verbal and written, are expected.
- This position requires someone willing to work in a team environment and uphold our quality standards and values.
The Graduate Assistant will assist the Coordinator-Sport Clubs in the overall administration of the Sport Clubs program. Specific duties include:
- Design, deliver and evaluate trainings, meetings and workshops.
- Mentor and coach students in their Sport Clubs leadership roles, including the Sport Club Executive Board.
- Plan and evaluate Sport Clubs events and promotions including Sport Club Expo, Recognition Celebration and various program-wide events.
- Coordinate and schedule on-campus club practices and competitions and staffing at various University facilities.
- Maintain participant statistics and program cost analyses.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate student team members.
- Regularly review and revise the operating guidelines and procedure manuals.
- Develop civic engagement activities that address leadership development and community responsibility.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships between the department and many campus-wide organizations.
- Develop and implement a recreation program utilizing budget management, marketing, staff management, and assessment of the program as part of the Graduate Assistant annual project.
- Other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary by the department.
August 1, 2017 to May 15, 2018. Graduate Assistant is expected to adhere to the University Administrative Calendar. Two-year assistantship available, pending satisfactory performance.
$1256/month for 9 1/2 months, plus 12-month tuition fellowship for in-state and out-of-state students. Student is required to pay student fees.
May 1, 2017 or until position is filled.
Interested applicants must visit the Human Resources website at www.jobs.IllinoisState.edu: www.jobs.ilstu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=71595. Any questions regarding the application process, please contact Valerie Deal, Graduate Assistant Coordinator, Campus Recreation, firstname.lastname@example.org, (309) 438-7058.
For additional information please visit our website at www.campusrecreation.illinoisstate.edu.