The Kent State University (KSU) Department of Recreational Services announces an Intramural Sports Graduate Assistantship for Fall 2017 through Spring 2019.
KSU Department of Recreational Services Intramural Sports Area: The Intramural Sports Graduate Assistant will primarily be responsible for assisting with the overall management and coordination of the Intramural Sports program area. The Intramural Sports Graduate Assistant will support the Intramural Sports Professional Staff by assisting with the day to day management of the Intramural Sports program including program implementation, student staff supervision, training, and development. This position may also have additional responsibilities with Club Sports, Community Leagues, and Youth Programs.
Responsibilities: The Intramural Sports Graduate Assistant will assist the Intramural Sports Professional Staff with the administration of the Intramural Sports area. Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with the overall management of the Intramural Sports program area (additional opportunities to assist with other areas including Club Sports, Community Leagues, and Youth Programs are available)
- Recruit, hire, train, schedule, supervise, manage, and evaluate approximately 30 student staff including intramural sports officials, intramural sports supervisors, and club sports supervisors
- Organize, schedule, and manage team sports, individual/dual sports, tournaments, and activities
- Provide leadership, constructive feedback, and evaluations for intramural sports student officials
- Assist with the overall development of intramural and club sport supervisors and student employees
- Demonstrate competency in several sports, and an ability to effectively teach others
- Enforce department and program area policies and procedures for staff and participants
- Conduct, plan, and lead sports training clinics, captains meetings, and assist with club officer meetings
- Provide on-site supervision during intramural and club sports activities
- Assist with participant conflict, emergency situations, and disciplinary action meetings
- Assist in marketing and promoting the intramural sports programs
- Communicate effectively with participants, team captains, club officers, and student staff
- Maintain clear and timely communication with Coordinator and Senior Assistant Director
- Provide excellent customer service; in-person, and via telephone, email, and social media
- Review and update program policies, procedures, and sport rules
- Utilize computer-based registration and scheduling software for coordination of Intramural sports
- Assist in evaluation and assessment of departmental programs
- Remain current with industry trends and best practices and implement pertinent innovations
- Serve as a liaison between student and professional staff, participants, and student groups Other duties as assigned
Application Procedure: Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to: Phelan Fletcher, Intramural Sports and Youth Programs Coordinator Kent State University Department of Recreational Services 1550 Ted Boyd Drive Kent, OH 44242-0001 Email: email@example.com (electronic submission is acceptable) DO NOT APPLY VIA BLUEFISHJOBS.COM
Closing Date: Preference is given to applications received by Wednesday, February 1, 2017. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications will be accepted through the end of the 2017 NIRSA Annual Conference, and interviews may be conducted prior to and/or during the conference (if attending).
Assistantship start date: Monday, August 14, 2017 (earlier start date may be available)
Preferred candidates shall pursue one of the following graduate degree programs listed below; however, applicants interested in other graduate degree programs are also encouraged to apply.
School of Foundations, Leadership and Administration (FLA):
M.A. Hospitality Management, M.A. Recreation Park and Tourism, M.A. Sport Administration, M.A. Sport and Recreation Management, M.A. Sports Studies
Graduate School of Management: M.B.A. Marketing
School of Communication Studies: M.A. Communication Studies
School of Journalism and Mass Communication (JMC): M.A. Reporting and Editing, M.A. Public Relations, M.A. Media Management
School of Visual Communication and Design (VCD): M.A. or M.F.A. Graphic Design
Graduate School Admissions and Application Information: Minimum GPA of 3.0 required for admission GRE may be required (contact Graduate School for more details) Kent State University, an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a diverse work force. ======================================================