Under the direct supervision of the Director of Recreational Sports, the fitness/wellness intern will be responsible for assisting with day to day operations as well as program development. The position will support the director and provide practical experience in a fitness environment. The individual will gain and apply leadership skills as well as become more adept at: Management, Assessment, Marketing, Presentations, Instruction, Meeting management, etc. The goal is to place one on course to be a well-rounded professional in the field.
- Assist in the development, implementation and enforcement all facility policies and procedures.
- Assist with fitness equipment inventory, routine maintenance/upkeep and help promote a safe and fair environment for a diverse population.
- Provide for comprehensive facility supervision in conjunction with Director’s and Assistant Director’s schedules.
- Be locally available for on-call coverage as scheduled by the department.
- Supervise facility and student recreation staff in the absence of full-time staff.
- Develop and administer of a comprehensive fitness & wellness program including, but not limited to incentive programs, fitness testing, personal training, group fitness classes, and wellness education.
- Oversee daily operations of the fitness programs including registrations, fitness services fees, and attendance records.
- Assist in the marketing and promotions of all fitness and wellness activities.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, schedule, and evaluate all fitness staff (group fitness instructors and personal trainers)
- Assist with the training and supervision of undergraduate practical experience students.
- Assist with hiring, training, and supervising facility staff.
- Ensure that all group fitness instructors and personal trainers have proper certification.
- Manage and submit payroll for all fitness personnel (instructors and personal trainers).
- Develop and implement policies and procedures that ensure safe instruction.
- Keep abreast with industry trends and assess new as well as current programming.
- Provide Director with budget needs and oversee inventory control of fitness program equipment.
Carry out other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Recreational Sports.
Appointment: This is a 10-month paid internship, beginning on or before August 1, 2017 and extending through May 31, 2018. Hours will vary based on the needs of the department, but not to exceed an average of 25 hours/week (with the exception of holidays and university closures), and will include nights and weekends. The intern will be compensated at a rate of $12.00/hour.
Application Process: Interested individuals must complete an application and submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Applications will not be accepted through Bluefishjobs.com.
Applications are due the department by May 7, 2017. The position will remain open until filled.
For additional information concerning this position, feel free to contact the Department of Recreational Sports at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-796-3120.