The Graduate Assistant is required to assist with the management of all aspects of Sport Clubs within the Department of Campus Recreation. The Graduate Assistant gives input to all decisions concerning Sport Clubs Funding, Travel, Conduct, and other issues. This position will report directly to the Coordinator of Sport Clubs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Actively assist club leaders in promoting their clubs
· Assist in planning of fundraisers on and off campus
· Supervise home matches and practices when needed
· Create and deliver monthly Sport Club newsletter
· Help Maintain Social Media Sites
· Work with Coordinator to evaluate and improve Allocation process
· Maintain correspondence with Club Officers and other Club members.
· Maintain Sport Clubs equipment inventory.
· Assist with budget planning for clubs
· Data entry for end of the year report
· Assist in reviewing and improving Sport Club Manual.
· Assist in reviewing and improving Risk Management and Safety protocols
· Planning and Delivering Monthly Leadership Meetings
· Interview every professional staff member of the Department of Campus Recreation, Ask questions regarding the purpose of their programs, what they offer, and the pros and cons of being in Campus Recreation.
· Perform additional tasks as required in the daily operation.
· Assist in all club related administrative responsibilities; travel, budgets, reimbursements, waivers etc.
· Assist in the facility supervision all club sport practices spaces (Harrington, Track Turf, Indoor Courts, Carver).
· Visit all off site club practice facilities and review Risk Management procedures off site
· Evaluate, implement and maintain Risk Management plan on and off campus
Assist with facility policy and procedure development and revisions as they pertain to competitions and practices
All interested applicants please send Resume and Cover Letter to Caitlin.Sommers@wwu.edu
Review of applications will begin immediately
2 years employment or leadership experience in Campus Recreation
Strong interpersonal skills, excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills
Commitment to professionalism and quality customer service
Ability to work with and manage student employees and leaders is also a must
Computer proficiency is essential
Sport Club experience
Experience in event planning and administration including extramural activities/special events
Experience marketing campus recreation events
Additional Salary Information: Based on minimum 19 hours a week
About Western Washington University Campus Recreation
First opened in 2003, the Wade King Student Recreation Center is a state of the art open recreation fitness and wellness facility that has been created and shaped by the vision and support of Western students. Through a referendum process, students voted to assess themselves a fee to construct and operate a facility that would provide quality recreational space on campus.
The design team of OPS...IS/BJSS Duarte Bryant designed a Northwest regional look for both the exterior and interior of the building. The building materials combination of brick, concrete and glass, along with the warmth of wood, were characteristics from each of the existing south campus buildings that were incorporated into the recreation center.
The Wade King Student Recreation Center was one of the nation’s first recreation centers designed to meet LEED (Leadership in energy and environmental design) Certification. This building is also the first Western Washington University facility to be LEED Certified. The LEED point system gives credit for steps taken to create efficient, sustainable facilities that are environmentally sound.
Campus Recreation Services strives to empower the Western community to achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and develop leadership abilities by providing the highest quality of recreational and co-curricular programs and services in an environmentally sustainable facility.
Through the fitness and wellness classes, personal training services, dietitian and rehab/injury prevention services we offer our students the opportunities to achieve and maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle while at WWU.
External partnerships with Extended Education, Prevention Wellness Services and Dining Services. Internal partnerships between fitness, nutrition counseling and injury prevention services.
Students have the opportunity to develop their leadership skills through involvement with the Campus Recreation Advisory Council, Sport Club Council, and the Intramural and Sport Club programs, and active engagement in other employment areas.
We also offer advanced levels of student employment in areas such as; Personal Trainers, Building and Intramural supervisors, Youth Camp Counselors, Fitness and Swim Instructors.
Continue to maintain sustainable practices to insure compliance with our LEED certification.