Fitness & Wellness Professional Internship - University of Massachusetts Lowell
UMass Lowell Campus Recreation
January 23, 2018
Starting at 20000.00
Contract - Internship
4 Year Degree
The UMass Lowell Campus Recreation Fitness and Wellness Intern will report to the Assistant Director of Fitness and Wellness. Their role will be to assist with the administration and coordination of personal training clients and appointments, lead one long term (4-8 week) fitness program each semester, and oversee the east campus fitness center operations and attendants.
Personal Training Coordination 35%
• Manage the administration and coordination of our paid personal training clients. This includes maintaining contact with client, setting up initial assessments, and receive physician approval if necessary • Provide guidance and support to personal trainers with their programming • Hire, train, schedule, and evaluate personal trainers
Facilities and Staffing 35%
• Supervise, train, schedule, assist with hiring, and evaluate east campus fitness center staff • Oversee the daily operations and maintenance of the east campus fitness center • Regularly check equipment functionally • Manage staff and maintenance budget appropriately
Risk Management 10%
• Assist with our Campus Recreation Safety Team • Lead students in risk management drills including CPR/AED/First Aid • Lead American Red Cross Adult & Pediatric CPR/AED/First Aid Classes for staff
• Oversee and take lead on one fitness program per semester • Support leading group fitness classes and/or personal training if needed
• Collect assessment on fitness programming, including participation numbers and participant surveys.
Fitness Marketing 5%
• Prepare social media posts, request flyers, and send emails to previous participants about upcoming fitness/wellness events.
Bachelor’s degree (preferably in a health-related field, such as Exercise Science or Kinesiology) • Group Fitness or Personal Training Certification from a nationally recognized organization (AFAA, ACE, ACSM, NETA, CSCS, etc)
30 hours/week • Office hours & programming hours will include evenings • $12,000 + on campus housing • July 15 – May 15
Email resume and cover letter in PDF format to Diana Davis Assistant Director of Fitness and Wellness at email@example.com Position will remain open until filled.
Additional Salary Information: $20,000 is comprised of a $12,000 stipend and an $8,000 on campus housing credit.
About UMass Lowell Campus Recreation
UMass Lowell is a national research university committed to preparing students for work in the real world— solving real problems and helping real people— by providing an affordable, high-quality education. Located on a high-energy campus in the heart of a global community, the university offers more than 18,000 students bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees.
Lowell is central to many excellent outdoor recreation opportunities; miles of rail trails, single track mountain biking and river paddling are accessible right from campus. Surfing and sea kayaking on the Atlantic coast as well as rock climbing, backpacking or mountaineering in mountains of MA, NH and VT a short drive away.
The Department of Campus Recreation at the University of Massachusetts Lowell is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Outdoor and Bicycle Programs Intern. This internship is designed to help qualified candidates build focused experience to pursue a career in outdoor and bicycle related university programming. This is a 12-month, 30 hour per week, entry-level position.