Assistant Director of Recreational Sports/ Outdoor Pursuits
West Texas A&M University
July 3, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
4 Year Degree
The Assistant Director of Recreational Sports, under direction, assists in overseeing the administration and organization of a comprehensive recreational sports program and facility consisting of climbing wall and outdoor rental shop.Direct responsibility for management, including budget, equipment, personnel, and programming for outdoor pursuits and a six week summer day camp. Recruits and trains climbing wall student employees and other personnel necessary to operate the climbing wall. Assists in the overall management of Recreational Sports, it's facilities and programs. Some nights and weekend work required.
two years of related experience in recreational sports at a university, including related supervisory experience
Understanding of student development theory in context of recreational sports
Excellent administrative skills
Excellent customer service skills
Ability to travel required as needed
Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record; must be able to obtain a State of Texas vehicle operator’s license within 30 days of employment and must qualify to operate a vehicle within the TAMUS guidelines. Ability to maintain TAMUS approval.
Ability to work beyond normal office hours and/or work on weekends
Internal Number: R-009777
About West Texas A&M University
Assistant Director, Recreational Sports/Aquatics
West Texas A&M University
Commensurate with experience
Direct responsibility for management, including budget, equipment, personnel, and programming for the Virgil Henson Activities Center swimming pool. Recruits and trains lifeguards and other personnel necessary to operate the pool. Assists in the overall management of Recreational Sports, it's facilities and programs. Some nights and weekend work required.
- Hires, trains, schedules, and evaluates lifeguards and group exercise instructors.
- Develops goals and objectives on a yearly basis and develops procedures and programs to meet those goals and objectives. Conducts periodic evaluations of operations, personnel, use of resources and programs.
- Oversees swim lessons, clinics and certification classes. for the summer terms. .
- Assists with managing daily facility operations including aerobics classes.
- Maintains the swimming pool at the proper chemical levels and makes sure the pool is in good operating condition. Mainta...ins the pool patio area.
- Develops strategies to market and promote programs.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Six years of related experience in Recreational Sports at a University, including related supervisory experience.
- Pool/Spa operator's certification or obtain within 30 days of employment. Lifeguard instructor certification. Must have a valid driver's license and a good driving record; must be able to obtain a State of Texas Vehicle operator's license within 30 days of employment; and must qualify to operate a vehicle within the TAMUS guidelines.
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Knowledge of recreational program management.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others. Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Master's degree strongly preferred.
- Six years of related experience in Aquatics at a University, including supervisory experience.
- Starguard or Red Cross Certification.
- Knowledge of Aquatics program management.
- Understands processes of the University
Go to https://www.wtamu.edu/administration/human-resources-employment.aspx to apply.
Please attach your resume, cover letter, references and transcripts if applicable. All documents required will be attached in the “Resume/CV” sections. This is the only section you will be able to upload ALL your documents.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.