Under the general direction of the Director, Recreation & Athletics, the incumbent will be responsible for providing leadership and oversight to the events and facilities within the Recreation & Athletics Department. Specifically, the Assistant Director oversees and/or is directly responsible for the supervision of facility management and operations staff, events coordinator, maintenance mechanic as well as budget development for facility operations staff and facility operations for two multipurpose recreation, athletics and student services buildings, outdoor competition/recreation facilities and an outdoor aquatics center.
The Assistant Director must have a clear understanding of the following areas of emphasis: customer service, communication skills, facility management, team building, staff development and training (professional and student staff). The Assistant Director is a member of the Senior Staff of the Recreation & Athletics Department and will report directly to the Director of Recreation & Athletics.
- For Recreation & Athletics Facility Operations: 1) recruits, hires, trains and evaluates building operations staff (Coordinator, Managers on Duty, Recreation Attendants and Cashiers), who operate the Joseph Edward Gallo Recreation Center and the Student Activities and Athletics Center. Supervises the largest student staff within the department (60+ students) to operate both recreation facilities over 140 hours per week; 2) develops annual facility hours and exception hours based upon historical usage data. Oversees all Recreation Center front desk activities: locker rentals, memberships, program registration and point of sale; and 3) works with the administrative staff to resolve cashiering issues. 4) Develop, implement and enforce student employment policies for operations staff. Develop, implement and enforce, through student staffing, facility policies and procedures.
- Serves as the Super Administrator for the departmental recreation management system (ActiveNet). Serve as a point of contact for IM Sports, sport clubs, OEP, Fitness and Special Events for the management of their events in ActiveNet.
- Provides general supervision and leadership to professional staff including the Events Coordinator, and maintenance mechanic. Serves as the departmental liaison with Facilities in regards to custodial services. Work with reports to address the following planning issues: goal setting, employee performance evaluations & standards. Process payroll and related personnel matters for all staff in a timely manner. Conducts staff meetings as needed for the purpose of enhancing communications, sharing ideas and assessing success and needs of the staff. Develops staff through timely completion of performance evaluations and daily coaching. Facilitates the continuing education of all recreation staff and provide support for appropriate certification.
- Facility Management. Serves as the primary point of contact for custodial and maintenance concerns for the department. Manages work requests for the department with the Maintenance Mechanic and Facility Services. Manages the grounds maintenance program for outdoor recreation and athletics spaces. Manages all reservations and recharges for Recreation & Athletics facilities. Manage building access for all Recreation & Athletics facilities through coordination with the Facilities Management Lock and Access department and the management of the departmental Key Trak system. Manages reservations for the Recreation & Athletics vehicle fleet. Coordinate maintenance and repair of Recreation & Athletics vehicle fleet with Transportation and Parking Services.
Applications cannot be accepted on Bluefish Jobs, they may only be accepted via the UC Merced Jobs website at http://jobs.ucmerced.edu/n/staff/position.jsf?positionId=8410
- Bachelor's degree in Sports Management, Physical Education or related area AND 3-5 years of progressively responsible related experience or equivalent experience / training.
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Demonstrated experience managing a large and diverse student staff in a collegiate recreation setting.
- Demonstrated leadership and inter-personal skills and the ability to work effectively across the organization, internally and externally.
- Strong service orientation, program management, sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, develop original ideas, creative problem solving skills in a varied and challenging environment.
- Must be highly organized and can effectively and efficiently operate in a fast paced, dynamic rapidly growing organization.
- Must have demonstrated fiscal management abilities.
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinker.
- Must have highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing career professional staff.
- Must be able to successfully pass FBI and DOJ Criminal Check.
- One year experience with ActiveNet or Class from Active Networks, Fusion or similar recreation management and scheduling software.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively recruit, select, train, coach, direct, assign and evaluate student staff.
- Master’s degree in Sports Management, Physical Education or equivalent or related preferred.
- Certification in CPR, AED and First Aid also preferred.
- Previous experiencing managing events and staff in a blended recreation and athletics program which equally values both the recreational and athletic priorities within the department
Internal Number: SCR8410A
About University of California, Merced
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With a little more than 7,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher ...education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. UC Merced is also building the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building in the heart of Merced.