Job Summary Oversees the operation and administration of the Intramurals and Sport Clubs, Fitness and Wellness, and Aquatics and Outdoor programs, supervises three professional staff and three graduate assistants, and coordinates all inventories for Campus Recreation.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities 1. Provides leadership and supervises all programs (Aquatics and Outdoor, Intramurals and Sport Clubs, and Fitness and Wellness) within Campus Recreation.
2. Manages entire inventory control for Campus Recreation including equipment to order, writing bid specification with the assistance from the appropriate area director, and inspecting and signing for all deliveries.
3. Assists the Director with budget development and budget management of all programs and special events within Campus Recreation.
4. Coordinates the student appeal/discipline, the scholarship, and the Graduate Assistant programs.
5. Develops and supervises the Central Staff on Duty (CSOD) responsibilities. Serves as the training officer for the CSOD program. Creates Central Staff on Duty (CSOD) calendar and manual and implements the schedule.
6. Serves as professional staff (between 8am – 5pm, weekdays and some weekends) on duty for overall management and supervision of all staff, programs, and facilities to include opening and closing facilities and handling customer-related situations and emergencies
7. Performs other duties as assigned
All applicants must apply via the Southern Miss HR website.
Master’s degree (MA) from four-year college or university in Sports Management or related academic program with six years related experience and/or training in managing college recreation. A valid driver’s license is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Strong planning and organization skills Strong customer service skills, supervisory skills and excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Working knowledge of recreation programs and their management; working knowledge of the rules of a variety of sports; working knowledge of modern office and bookkeeping procedures.
CPR Instructor First Aid Instructor AED Instructor CPO (certified pool operator) or AFO (aquatic facility operator) National Intramural Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) active member
Internal Number: req324
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The Campus Recreation Department serves the university community of approximately 16,000 university students, faculty, and staff. The Campus Recreation department has 9 professional staff. Recreational facilities include a 125,000 square foot rec center and three outdoor facilities. Southern Miss is a member of the Conference USA Division 1 All Sports Conference. The Department of Campus Recreation is a member of the Division of Student Affairs. The mission of Southern Miss Campus Recreation is to provide safe, quality, and comprehensive programs, services, and facilities that enhance recreation and wellness for the University community while supporting the educational mission of the university through student learning and developement. For a comprehensive view of Southern Miss please refer to it's website at www.usm.edu.