James Madison University Recreation (UREC) is now accepting applications from candidates planning to pursue a career and advanced degree in campus recreation.
UREC is hiring for five assistantship positions for the 2019-20 academic year, and applicants will have the opportunity to select their preference for placement: • Adventure & TEAM Programs • Fitness & Group Exercise • Reservations & Event Operations • Sport Clubs • Student Training & Development (FILLED)
Graduate Assistantships include enrollment in an academic program and involve 20 hours of work per week at UREC during the academic school year. In addition to the $7,911 stipend, positions include a tuition waiver, a $750 professional development stipend, and a $300 academic book or dining benefit.
- The Graduate Assistant for Adventure Programs will take on a leadership role in two of the five areas of concentration of the JMU Adventure Program (trips, education, workshops, indoor climbing wall, TEAM Ropes Course, and Adventure Equipment Center) and assist in remaining three areas as needed. Other responsibilities will include planning and execution of special events, supervision of employees, program risk management, leader training, and general program administration.
- The Graduate Assistant for Fitness & Group Exercise will take on rotating leadership roles in the Fitness, Group Exercise, and Wellness program areas. Responsibilities will include supervision of student employees, staff training and continuing education, management of fitness & group exercise activity spaces, and general program design and administration.
- The Graduate Assistant for Reservations & Event Operations will provide leadership and supervision of Special Operations. This includes hiring, training and evaluation of student employees. This GA will assist with the departmental reservation process and assist in the supervision and management of Special Operations Events in addition to hiring and training of the Special Operations staff.
- The Graduate Assistant for Sport Clubs will take on a leadership role in the programming and scheduling of JMU’s sport club program, which includes over 50 clubs and an Executive Council. This GA will be involved in the coordination of the UREC Alternative Spring Break trip.
- The Graduate Assistant for Student Training and Development will take on a leadership role for the University Recreation (UREC) Student Employee Training and Development Program. Responsibilities include facilitating and executing student professional development through a series of student leadership workshops, planning and implementation of UREC department-wide student trainings, student leadership meetings, and general program administration.
Facility supervision and operational responsibilities for the 278,515 sq/ft University Recreation Center and satellite facilities is required of all Graduate Assistants.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree and acceptance into graduate program (individuals may apply prior to admission, however, an individual must be accepted into a graduate program before an offer may be extended). James Madison University offers an academic program: Campus Recreation concentration in the Sport and Recreation Leadership Master’s program in the Hart School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management. Preference for these assistantships is given to those admitted to the Campus Recreation concentration. The early admit deadline is December 1 and the regular admit deadline is February 1.
Applicants must apply on JMU Joblink. Please note that applications submitted on Bluefish or via email can not be considered.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.
About James Madison University Recreation
James Madison University is a four-year higher education institution located on 721 beautifully landscaped acres in Harrisonburg, VA, the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. JMU has a student enrollment of 20,855 and a staff of 2,694 full-time employees. In 1996, JMU opened a 140,700 square foot Recreation Center and in 2016, construction was completed for an addition and renovation to bring the building to 278,515 square feet. UREC offers the JMU community a comprehensive menu of recreational and educational opportunities. We have a dedicated student staff of over 500 along with 10 graduate assistants from around the country and 28 professional staff.
BACK TO TOP
Bluefishjobs.com is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else NIRSA Membership has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at Bluefishjobs.com.