Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay's award-winning MWR program is seeking a Fitness Specialist in the areas of Group Exercise Instruction and/or Strength & Conditioning. Applicants must be willing to participate and engage in fitness programs specific to their specialized certification to provide a positive, customer-driven environment. The Fitness Specialist will need excellent interpersonal skills to effectively work with other areas of Fitness and assist in the day-to-day operations of the facility/program. Group Exercise and Strength & Conditioning certifications will be highly noted, as well as proven abilities to work successfully in team oriented operations. Innovation, growth, and strong work ethic are distinctive principles applied daily within Kings Bay’s Fitness Complex and will be expected of the chosen applicant.
Plans, organizes, and conducts a physical fitness program that provides conditioning programs for authorized patrons. Instructs individuals and groups in the proper implementation and maintenance of conditioning and training programs for aerobic fitness, muscular fitness, body composition, and flexibility training. Conducts micro-fit testing, which includes measuring individuals aerobic capacities, their body fat percentage, recommended height/weight ratios, strength, flexibility, muscular endurance and blood pressure. Works with various command representatives in developing and implementing physical fitness programs for military personnel. Instructs patrons in the proper use of all equipment for training and self-monitored progress by preparing written instruction and procedures for the performance of work, use of equipment, safety and wellbeing of all involved. May train/lead other employees in various recreation/physical fitness-related positions. Registers patrons, collects fees, maintains attendance and appropriate accounting records. Ensure all safety measures are observed. Responsible for care of equipment and security of facilities. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum of two years of experience demonstrating a working knowledge of fitness programs AND/OR a degree in a fitness/health related field from an accredited college/university.
Ability to obtain an accredited certification recognized by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies in the areas of health and fitness field within 90 days of employment.
Knowledge of required safety rules and regulations as related to aerobics/fitness.
Must possess the proper skills for instruction of exercise classes and use of exercise equipment.
Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the public.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Must be physically fit and be able to demonstrate exercises, equipment and aerobic activities. Work may be performed both indoors and outdoors. Indoor work will be in areas that have adequate heating, lighting and ventilation. Some activities will require exposure to outdoors resulting in exposure to various climactic conditions, i.e., heat, cold, rain and humidity.
1. NAF Application: Please ensure that the application is filled out completely and is supplied along with the Declaration for Federal Employment Form (OF-306) found at: www.opm.gov/forms. --OR--
Resume: Please ensure that all information is supplied along with the Declaration for Federal Employment Form (OF-306) found at: www.opm.gov/forms.
2. Current NAF employees must submit a copy of their last Annual Performance Appraisal and a copy of their Personnel Action Report (PAR) showing current salary.
3. Copy of College Transcripts (if required or if substituting education for experience).
APPLICANTS CLAIMING HIRING PREFERENCE: Please ensure your status is indicated on your application/resume and ALL required documents to claim preference are submitted at the time of application/resume submission. What are preferences?: Preferences are advantages in the candidate selection process.
Individuals can claim the following preferences:
1. Re-Employment Priority List (RPL): Qualifying separated employees shall have priority placement in the NAF activity from which they were separated as a result of a Business Based Action (BBA), when the position has substantially the same duties as the position from which they were separated and it is not a higher grade or employment category, provided the position is not being filled by an internal candidate. To claim this preference you MUST: Submit a copy of your BBA Separation and Notification indicating eligibility for RPL.
2. Military Spouse Preference (MSP): Qualifying spouses eligible for MSP are spouses of an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, including members of the National Guard or Reserves on Active Duty. The marriage must have occurred before the military member received official Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders to the installation. MSP is applicable only when applying for NAF positions at the NF-03 and below level, Child & Youth CY-02 and below level, and equivalent Craft & Trade (CT) positions. To claim this preference you MUST: Submit the Request for Military Spouse Preference Form; AND Submit the sponsor’s PCS orders; AND If you are not indicated as a spouse on the PCS orders, you MUST submit proof of marriage prior to the PCS orders having been issued.
3. Veteran’s Preference / Gold Star Veteran’s Preference: Qualifying military veterans, and spouses/parents of deceased veterans, shall be given employment preference over non-preference applicants if they are equally qualified. Preference applicable for positions open to external candidates. To claim Veteran’s Preference you MUST: Submit a copy of your DD-214 (member 4 copy); AND Submit completed SF-15 from the Veterans Administration (VA); AND Submit any other supporting documentation (disability, official statements, proof of service, etc.) To claim Gold Star Veteran’s Preference you MUST: Submit completed SF-15 from the Veteran’s Administration (VA); AND Submit a legible copy of DD-1300; AND Submit any other supporting documentation (official statements, document of service, court decree, etc.). Qualifying applicants with preferences are considered in the order listed above. Then all other qualifying applicants are considered. FAILURE TO PROVIDE ALL OF THE REQUIRED AND APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS MAY RESULT IN YOU BEING DISQUALIFIED.
Morale, Welfare and Recreation Attn: NAF Human Resources 1063 USS Tennessee Avenue Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, GA 31547
Internal Number: NAF-2018-91
About SUBASE Kings BAY MWR
Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR) is a customer-driven organization that prides itself in offering new program ideas in innovative ways to improve the entertainment, recreation and fitness opportunities of the new generation of military members, their families, retirees, civilians, and other authorized patrons.
Customer focused, quality driven - the preferred choice of those we serve.
To deliver high quality, customer focused programs and services that contribute to the readiness, retention and quality of life of the military community served.