Salary:$16.20 – $18.21 an hour, based on qualifications/experience
Employment Category: Regular Full Time, 35-40 hours per week, with benefits. Will require working evening, weekend and holiday hours.
Location: Fitness & Sports Branch with MWR aboard Naval Submarine Base, Kings Bay, GA
Relocation Expenses: Authorized
Area of Consideration: All Sources
Introduction: Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay’s award-winning MWR program is seeking a dynamic and innovative leader to join its’ Fitness & Sports Branch as a Sports Coordinator. This position will develop and maintain a diversified military intramural Adult Sports Program in a variety of functions including league development, officiating management, program outreach/promotion, customer service and facility upkeep. The Sports Coordinator will have the opportunity to work and program in a variety of extramural and intramural sporting areas. The ideal candidate is a motivated individual who desires to work for a forward-thinking organization. He or she must have a customer-service focused management style, creative programming skills, proven ability to lead a successful team/organization and experience coordinating a comprehensive adult sports program.
Duties: Plans and administers an adult sports program for a military community. Responsibilities include planning, organizing, evaluating and promoting team/individual sports programs and sports/fitness related activities on a recurring and non-recurring basis. Activities include intramural sport leagues, tournaments, special events, etc. Selects and coordinates programs and activities to be offered, both within the required standards and those additional ones possible through available resources and desirable in terms of participant's interests and needs. Schedules and publicizes various tournaments, and other sports events. Solicits volunteers and contractors service for activities. Evaluates the effectiveness of ongoing sports activities from the standpoint of participants' response, resources, program objectives. Ensures playing surfaces are properly maintained, safe, and ready for play. Assists with maintenance of outdoor and indoor sports facilities. Responsible for scheduling of courts, track, and fields, and regularly inspects for repairs, cleanliness, etc. Performs other related duties as assigned.
A minimum of three years of work experience that demonstrates directing sports activities and a proficiency in developing a sports program tailored to the needs of the participants.
A bachelor’s degree in Sports Management, Recreation or related field from an accredited college is preferred and may be substituted for two years of experience.
Knowledge of the principles of personnel management, involving recruitment selection, hiring, training and development, and the general provisions for the needs of human resources in an organization.
Skills in planning and leadership to devise and carry out recreation programs that will stimulate and sustain the interest of participants and so challenge and motivate their participation that they may benefit from the physical, psychological, and social values to be derived from recreational activities.
Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP)
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The employee’s work requires some physical exertion, such as handling tools, materials, and equipment related to various sporting activities involved. Additionally, much of the employee’s contact work takes place at outdoor playing facilities requiring driving, standing and walking. May require lifting items up to 45 pounds. If over 45 pounds, seek assistance from another employee. Incumbent’s office area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated. Recreational Sporting activities of this program not only involve everyday risks of discomforts, which require normal safety precautions typical in supervising sporting events.
Basis of Review: Applicants will be evaluated based on experience and qualifications described above and presented in written format.
1. NAF Application: Please ensure that the application is filled out completely and is supplied along with the Declaration for Federal Employment Form (OF-306) found at: www.opm.gov/forms.
Resume: Please ensure that all information is supplied along with the Declaration for Federal Employment Form (OF-306) found at: www.opm.gov/forms.
2. Current NAF employees must submit a copy of their last Annual Performance Appraisal and a copy of their Personnel Action Report (PAR) showing current salary.
3. Copy of College Transcripts (if required or if substituting education for experience).
APPLICANTS CLAIMING HIRING PREFERENCE: Please ensure your status is indicated on your application/resume and ALL required documents to claim preference are submitted at the time of application/resume submission. What are preferences?: Preferences are advantages in the candidate selection process. Individuals can claim the following preferences:
1. Re-Employment Priority List (RPL): Qualifying separated employees shall have priority placement in the NAF activity from which they were separated as a result of a Business Based Action (BBA), when the position has substantially the same duties as the position from which they were separated and it is not a higher grade or employment category, provided the position is not being filled by an internal candidate. To claim this preference you MUST: Submit a copy of your BBA Separation and Notification indicating eligibility for RPL.
2. Military Spouse Preference (MSP): Qualifying spouses eligible for MSP are spouses of an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, including members of the National Guard or Reserves on Active Duty. The marriage must have occurred before the military member received official Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders to the installation. MSP is applicable only when applying for NAF positions at the NF-03 and below level, Child & Youth CY-02 and below level, and equivalent Craft & Trade (CT) positions. To claim this preference you MUST: Submit the Request for Military Spouse Preference Form; AND Submit the sponsor’s PCS orders; AND If you are not indicated as a spouse on the PCS orders, you MUST submit proof of marriage prior to the PCS orders having been issued.
3. Veteran’s Preference / Gold Star Veteran’s Preference: Qualifying military veterans, and spouses/parents of deceased veterans, shall be given employment preference over non-preference applicants if they are equally qualified. Preference applicable for positions open to external candidates. To claim Veteran’s Preference you MUST: Submit a copy of your DD-214 (member 4 copy); AND Submit completed SF-15 from the Veterans Administration (VA); AND Submit any other supporting documentation (disability, official statements, proof of service, etc.) To claim Gold Star Veteran’s Preference you MUST: Submit completed SF-15 from the Veteran’s Administration (VA); AND Submit a legible copy of DD-1300; AND Submit any other supporting documentation (official statements, document of service, court decree, etc.).
Qualifying applicants with preferences are considered in the order listed above. Then all other qualifying applicants are considered. FAILURE TO PROVIDE ALL OF THE REQUIRED AND APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS MAY RESULT IN YOU BEING DISQUALIFIED.
Morale, Welfare and Recreation Attn: NAF Human Resources email@example.com 912-573-2363 1063 USS Tennessee Avenue Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, GA 31547
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Internal Number: NAF-2019-02
About SUBASE Kings BAY MWR
Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR) is a customer-driven organization that prides itself in offering new program ideas in innovative ways to improve the entertainment, recreation and fitness opportunities of the new generation of military members, their families, retirees, civilians, and other authorized patrons.
Customer focused, quality driven - the preferred choice of those we serve.
To deliver high quality, customer focused programs and services that contribute to the readiness, retention and quality of life of the military community served.