The Coordinator for Sports and Activities (Intramural & Club Sports) and Camp UREC work with advising of students involved in educational and recreational programming.
Directly oversee and handle day-to-day operation, to include but not limited to:
• Programming, scheduling of facility, hiring of staff, and supervision and evaluation of all staff, and all camp participants for the period of May 11-August 11 for CAMP UREC working with another Coordinator and supported by the Assistant Director.
• Directly oversee the undergraduate leadership teams for both the IM Sports and Club Sports programs.
• Advise Club Sports Council and directly oversee the Executive Committee which facilitates all Club Sports Council meetings.
• Assist with recruiting, hire and supervising, overseeing of payroll for all student program assistants, supervisors, officials, and scorer/timers for IM Sports, Club Sports, & Camp program (180-210 staff).
• Evaluate student employees on a regular basis with the purpose of developing the skills and experiences of each student employee as well as maintaining program quality.
• Instruct and provide medical Training Courses (serve as instructor) to all UREC student employees in the areas of CPR/AED, First Aid, BBP, etc.
• Development of a leadership based curriculum designed to teach students effective leadership, management, and organizational development skills.
• Oversee scheduling for all on-campus practice and competition, including scheduling of Club Sports & Activity Supervisors and additional medical personnel when necessary for the Club Sports program.
• Assist with the direct supervision of all Intramural Sports events held on campus and in the Boone area.
• Maintain open communication between all teams, the IM & Club Sports programs, staff, and University Recreation through emails, direct conversation/meetings and announcements.
• Work closely with the Assistant Director, Associate Director and Director of University Recreation to implement and manage a risk management system that prescribes proper safety for all Intramural & Club Sports programs and the Camp UREC Program.
• Maintain comprehensive reports for each activity to include: total number of participants, total number of staff and hours worked, total number of games, equipment used, cost per participant, and the total cost of each activity.
Applications are only accepted through the university’s career portal, AppState Careers.
To apply, you must complete the online application as paper or emailed application materials will not be accepted.
A completed application must include a cover letter (letter of interest), resume, and three references including their name, title, email address, and telephone number.
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University’s receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.
Two or more years of experience working in the College Student Affairs field.
Experience working with Intramural & Club Sports programs at the collegiate level and advising, managing, supervising student leaders directly involved with competitive sports.
Experience working with youth and providing age appropriate activities for a day camp setting.
Good time management is a must. Ability to evaluate playing conditions due to weather and determine necessary action.
Maintain CPR/AED, First-Aid, and Blood Borne Pathogens Instructor Certifications in order to serve as an instructor for UREC.
Internal Number: 089751
About Appalachian State University
Appalachian State University is lcoated in the Blue Ridge Mountains of northwestern North Carolina and is one of 16 constituent institutions of The University of North Carolina. Appalachian is a comprehensive university enrolling more than 18,000 students and offering 96 academic majors at the baccalaureate level and more than 70 academic majors at the master's and intermediate levels. Its major clientele is the traditional undergraduate student and its primary mission is that of instruction.
The Student Recreation Center (SRC):
The SRC includes a total square footage of approx. 125,000 sq. ft.. Features in the SRC include a smoothie bar, a 50 ft. climbing wall, a cardio room, a weight room area, an indoor walking/jogging track, a 50M swimming pool, UREC Central Offices, and the Outdoor Outing Center. Two gymnasiums used for Intramural activities, Club Sports, as well as Informal use (freeplay). The SRC opened in April 2006 and is home to Intramural Sports, Club Sports, Aquatics, Fitness, Outdoor Programs, and Informal Recreation.