The mission of Campus Recreation is to enhance the quality of life of our unique members by educating and encouraging the active participation in recreational opportunities that develop leadership skills, foster social interaction and reinforce healthy behaviors.
This position is responsible for the daily operation of Fitness Program and will be responsible for the planning, programming, publicizing, and administering the Group Fitness and/or Personal Training Programs. The position is responsible for training and mentoring group fitness instructors and personal trainers and may supervise 1 graduate assistant.
Initial review of applications will begin March 25, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Applications must be submitted no later than March 24, 2019. To assure full consideration, an application along with a resume/curriculum vita, reference list (specifically, the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of at least three professional references), and cover letter must be submitted online at www.IllinoisState.edu/jobs.
1. Bachelor's Degree in a field relevant to the position (e.g., Kinesiology, Physical Education, or closely related field).
2. Two (2) years (24 months) of experience in the promotion, design, development, and administration of recreational programs*
*Note: An advanced degree (Master's or higher) in Kinesiology, Physical Education, Exercise Science, or closely related field may substitute in meeting the qualifications in number 1 and count for one year of experience in number 2 above.
3. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
**Master's degree will count towards experience if earned prior to start date. Applicant will be required to provide transcripts at that time (may be unofficial).
3. Demonstrated experience successfully managing a fitness program.
4. Possess American Red Cross CPR/AED/First aid basic certification or equivalent.
5. Possess American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor certification or must obtain within the first year of employment.
6. Familiarity with inspecting facility for risk management or maintenance concerns and resolving problems independently prior to activity.
7. Demonstrated experience in the training and supervision of student employees and volunteers to accomplish program operations.
8. Availability to work flexible shifts, evenings and weekends depending on activities being offered.
9. Ability to communicate proficiently both verbally and in writing.
10. Familiarity with a broad range of facility and fitness equipment and the ability to maintain equipment inventory including procurement and rental operations.
11. Familiarity and comfort with RecTrac or similar software package.
12. Possess American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid instructor certification or must obtain within the first year of employment.
13. Demonstrated computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite 2010 or equivalent product.
14. One (1) required certification in personal training or group fitness as recognized by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). Accepted Personal training certifications include: ACE, AFFA, ACSM, CI, NASM, NCCPT, NSCA. Accepted Group Fitness Certifications include: AFAA or ACE.
15. ACE Personal Training, Zumba, Aqua Zumba, Insanity, P90X, Turbo Kick, Hip Hop Hustle, Kickboxing, PiYo, Cycle, Yoga, and Yoga Fit certifications.
About Illinois State University
Illinois State University:
Illinois State University, founded in 1857, is the oldest public university in Illinois. Illinois State is a coeducational, residential university that emphasizes undergraduate study with almost 21,000 students. Its 34 academic departments in 6 colleges offer 63 undergraduate programs in more than 160 fields of study. The Graduate School coordinates 38 masters, 2 specialist and 7 doctorial programs. Illinois State University (www.IllinoisState.edu) is committed to fostering a small-college atmosphere with large-university opportunities and promoting the highest academic standards in teaching, scholarship, and community service.
Illinois State University is located in the growing twin cities of Bloomington and Normal, with a population of approximately 125,000 and conveniently located approximately two hours from both Chicago and St. Louis. The community is home to GROWMARK, Illinois Farm Bureau, State Farm Insurance International Headquarters, Illinois Wesleyan University, Lincoln College, and Heartland Community College. The community has distinguished itself for its outstanding school systems and educational att...ainment, parks and recreation, health care, job growth, economic opportunity, and low crime. Forbes magazine, in a review of the best places for business, ranked Bloomington-Normal the 15th best place for business out of 168 small metros listed. Bloomington was also recently placed on CNNMoney's list of the 100 Best Places to Live. Expansion Management Magazine rated Bloomington-Normal as one of two metro areas with a five-star quality of life, giving the community high rankings in such areas as standard of living, quality of schools, traffic and commute. Please visit the Bloomington-Normal Area Convention & Visitors Bureau website at www.bloomingtonnormalcvb.org for more information.