The Program Assistant Position is designed to give undergraduate students exposure to the administrative aspects of a Recreational Sports Unit and diversify their experience as they explore a career path in Campus Recreation.
This position will primarily assist with day-to-day operations and provides the exposure necessary to allow for a more informed transition to a Graduate Assistant position. The Program Assistant will assist and support in the following areas:
- Work a minimum of 15 office hours, maximum of 29 hours total per week
- Work a minimum of 1 Assistant Building Manager shift per week
- Maintain current CPR/AED, SFA, and PDT certifications
- Demonstrated experience in Policy Education
- Customer Service Experience
- Demonstrated organization skills
- Good Written and Oral Communication
- Enrolled student at the IU-B campus
- Interest in Campus Recreation as career path
- Demonstrated experience in policy education and/or event planning
- Ensure student employees have completed proper payroll forms
- Inventory of equipment before and after assigned sports
- Handling of disciplinary points, mid-semester monitor, and semester assessments under direction of AD
- Assure high quality service by maintaining relational contact with program participants, responding to comments and suggestions, and recruiting to volunteer in leadership roles
- Being a role model and mentor to fellow employees, provide enhanced relational service to all participants, and continually educate themselves on Recreational Sports information, events, and policies
Assistant Building Manager:
- Work at least 5 hours per week on nights and/or weekends as the facility Assistant Manager
- Required to work at least 1 week during a semester break each academic year (Thanksgiving, Winter, or Spring)
- Monitor and provide feedback concerning the performance of all hourly wage staff members assigned to your shift. Note outstanding performance, challenges and disciplinary action taken
- Monitor and provide feedback about all programs and services. Note successes and concerns with recommendations for improvement
- Serve as a resource for all hourly staff and as the supervisor on duty for hourly student employees, providing guidance and assisting with problem solving
- Assist the Risk Management First Responder as requested during all accident and incident responses within designated Recreational Sports facilities
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the On-Site/On-Call Professional Staff and ensure proper completion of various reports
- Serve as a role model and mentor to hourly staff, provide enhanced relational service to all participants, and stay informed about Recreational Sports information, events and policies
- Supervise all hourly staff while on shift, including troubleshooting no-shows
- Conduct door checks for record-keeping and risk management purposes
- Interact with participants to provide friendly, knowledgeable, relational service
- Open and close both the Student Recreational Sports Center and the Intramural Center
- Perform other duties as assigned as the on-shift supervisor
Pay Rate: Hourly, $15.00
Please send resume, cover letter and three professional references to Satoshi Kido (email@example.com), Assistant Director, Intramural Sports by March 1 at 5pm.
About Indiana University
Join Indiana University’s comprehensive recreational sports program. Our mission is to connect, inform, and inspire people to lead an active, healthy lifestyle. We serve over 36,000 students, faculty, staff, and public participants annually. Our programs utilize two multi-purpose facilities (housing over 400,000 square feet of activity space), three indoor pools, an outdoor pool complex, an indoor tennis center and numerous outdoor activity spaces. Our team consists of forty-six appointed staff members, seven graduate assistants, and over 1,000 hourly wage staff members. For more information, please visit our web site at www.iurecsports.org.
Philosophy: Our organization fosters a team focused, collaborative work environment that emphasizes strong business practices, operational excellence and participant development. Our organization is committed to a student development philosophy that encourages student involvement in decision-making and leadership. A related hallmark is contribution to the professional preparation of recreational sport and fitness professionals. We provide opportunities for personal and professional growth in a fun and exciting environment.
Culture: Our or...ganization fosters a team focused, collaborative work environment that emphasizes strong business practices, creative programming, and operational excellence. We provide opportunities for personal and professional growth in a fun and exciting environment.