Direct the activities, programming and operation of the campus Fitness Center, including oversight of the day-to-day operations.
1. Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Fitness Center, and satellite fitness studios, including hiring, training and oversight of all fitness staff. Implement and enforce all procedures, policies and rules. Assist, the Assistant Director for Facilities and Club Sports, with the training and oversight of facility staff. Schedule regular training sessions with staff on the proper operation and function of equipment. Ensure that appropriate cleaning schedules and duties are performed.
2. Provide fitness programming to facility users ranging from individual personal training to proper technique and operation of equipment, as well as oversight of fitness classes in aerobics, yoga, Pilates, spin, etc. Market programming to a diverse student body including underrepresented students and students with disabilities.
3. Responsible for the oversight of departmental health and wellness programming and educational initiatives. Work with Student Health, Personal Counseling, Human Resources, Residence Life, SAIL, and others in coordinating joint fitness, health, and lifestyle programs, including weekend and late night programming.
4. Development and oversight of a comprehensive personal training program, including the hiring, certification and training of approximately, 20-25 personal trainers and group fitness instructors. Conduct ongoing training and continuing education workshops.
5. Perform preventative maintenance and repairs to fitness equipment and facilitate and schedule repairs by vendors when necessary. Maintain warranty and maintenance inventory on all fitness equipment to expedite timely resolution to equipment problems.
6. Make budget recommendations on the purchase and lease of all equipment and supplies for the Fitness Center while developing a long-term plan for the turnover and replacement of equipment. Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and professional colleagues on the latest developments and trends in the fitness industry regarding equipment. Develop and maintain working knowledge of available equipment in terms of functionality, reliability, durability, etc.
7. Risk management oversight of Fitness Center and all related fitness programs including policy recommendations and implementation. Implement plan based on best industry practices and institutional standards and train and certify all appropriate staff in CPR, First Aid, and AED (automated external defibrillator) procedures.
8. Consult with club sport coaches and athletes to devise team and individual workout programs for club sport athletes. Provide team group fitness classes for varsity athletic teams.
1. Perform all other duties as may be required.
Education and Experience Required
• Bachelor’s Degree in physical education, recreation, human performance, or similar discipline from an accredited institution. Master’s degree preferred. • Two to four years’ of professional experience in administration, management and operation of collegiate fitness center facility or an equivalent combination of education and experience. • Ability to teach and conduct fitness workshops and clinics • Expertise in conducting personal fitness assessments and designing personal training programs. • Experience in the use, instruction, purchasing and maintenance of fitness equipment. • Ability to successfully train and supervise student employees and part-time professional staff. • Ability to undertake risk management assessments of fitness facilities and programs and make appropriate recommendations to ensure compliance. • CPR, First Aid and nationally recognized health/fitness certifications (e.g. ACSME, NSCA, AFAA) required.
• Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time • Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction • Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard • Communication skills using the spoken word • Ability to see within normal parameters • Ability to hear within normal range • Ability to move about
About Providence College
Providence College is a liberal arts college offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in a range of academic disciplines including business, fine and performing arts, humanities, natural science, and mathematics, while providing a strong sense of community throughout the student body, faculty and staff. Providence College was founded in 1917 through a joint effort of the Diocese of Providence and the Dominican Friars of the Province of St. Joseph.