The University of Southern Mississippi Campus Recreation Department is looking for a talented student who has experience in Aquatics and/or Outdoor Recreation to fill The graduate assistant in aquatics and outdoor programs
The Graduate Assistant will assist the Coordinator of Aquatics and Outdoor Programs with the administration and supervision and oversight of the aquatics and outdoor programs. Responsibilities include the following:
• Assist with the overall management and scheduling of the aquatics and outdoor programs and the MC Johnson Natatorium.
• Assist with the overall management and scheduling of the lifeguards and outdoor staff.
• Supervise, hire, train, schedule, and evaluate approximately 20 student employees for aquatics and outdoor programs. This includes biweekly payroll duties.
• Maintain daily, weekly and monthly records of participation for year-end reports.
• Promote campus recreation through presentations and other cooperative efforts with academic classes, student organizations, and community groups.
• Serve as professional staff (rotating nights and weekends) on duty for overall management and supervision of all staff, programs, and recreational sports facilities. • Adhere to daily office hours (20 per week).
• Assist with all departmental special events.
• Continue NIRSA or other professional-recreation-related organizational involvement
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must have the following: bachelor’s degree, experience with aquatic or outdoor programs. Recommended certifications include CPR, AED, first aid, lifeguard, and wilderness first aid. Computer expertise and the ability to work and communicate effectively with university students, faculty, staff and the general public are needed. Proficiency in written and verbal communication skills is required. Additional desired qualifications include NIRSA or other professional-recreation-related organizational involvement as a student.
STIPEND: A $9,900 12-month stipend, plus $500 health insurance stipend and full-tuition waiver will be awarded (in-state and out of state). Academic classes are not required during summer semester.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: The first year commitment is August 2019–July 2020. We recommend a two-year commitment; renewal for second year is contingent upon satisfactory performance in the classroom and within Campus Recreation.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter and résumé to the address below. The position will remain open until filled, but priority given to those who apply before May 10.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT
Mark Crager - Director of Campus Recreation
The University of Southern Mississippi
Department of Campus Recreation
118 College Drive #5155
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
For more information about The University of Southern Mississippi, visit www.usm.edu. For specific information about Campus Recreation, visit www.usm.edu/campus-recreation
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The Campus Recreation Department serves the university community of approximately 16,000 university students, faculty, and staff. The Campus Recreation department has 9 professional staff. Recreational facilities include a 125,000 square foot rec center and three outdoor facilities. Southern Miss is a member of the Conference USA Division 1 All Sports Conference. The Department of Campus Recreation is a member of the Division of Student Affairs. The mission of Southern Miss Campus Recreation is to provide safe, quality, and comprehensive programs, services, and facilities that enhance recreation and wellness for the University community while supporting the educational mission of the university through student learning and developement. For a comprehensive view of Southern Miss please refer to it's website at www.usm.edu.