The Assistant Director, Fitness Programs provides operational direction of all fitness and well-being programming for Campus Recreation including personal training, group fitness classes, Exercise is Medicine program, and instructional workshops. Assists in the analysis of program effectiveness and establishes future direction of programming. This position will play an integral part in the opening of the University Recreation & Wellness Center scheduled to open in January 2020. Supervises 1 full time coordinator and student staff in the fitness and well-being program.
Essential Job Duties:
Provides operational direction of Fitness and well-being programming at FGCU.
• Oversees the recruitment, hiring, and training of staff and part time OPS staff that assist in carrying out the goals and objectives of the functional area.
• Develops and implements risk management and safety plans. Ensures all safety practices are followed.
• Collects and analyzes data to assess and evaluate programs and initiatives. Prepares monthly reports, presentations, and proposals.
• Assists in the development and implementation of policies, procedures to ensure effective operations.
• Develops and manages the operating budgets for the assigned functional area to ensure program alignment with fiscal allocation.
• Participates in goal setting and long range planning. Develops goals, student learning outcomes, and program objectives. Assists with the development and implementation of the overall departmental strategic plan.
• Stays current on trends and best practices to develop new and improved programming. Participates in state, regional, and national professional organizations, conferences and workshops.
• Responsible for contract negotiation with purchase and lease of equipment. Oversees the distribution and inventory of recreational equipment.
• Assists with special projects as assigned.
• Serves on assigned campus recreation and university work teams and committees as needed.
• Serves as essential personnel and provides assistance in the event of an emergency on campus.
Applications submitted through Bluefishjobs will not be considered.
Deadline: Thursday, June 20, 2019
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Recreation Management, Sports Administration, or closely related field.
Four years of full-time professional experience related to the position.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
Current CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications or able to obtain within three months of employment.
Certification from at least one of the following: Certified Health Fitness Specialist (HFS); ACSM Certified Personal Training (CPT); ACSM Certified Exercise Physiologist (EP-C); Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFFA) Certification; National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) Certification.
Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Recreation Management, Sports Administration, or closely related field.
Two years of full-time professional experience in higher education campus recreation related to the position.
Experience scheduling and supervising the work of students, support, and professional employees.
Certification as a CPR, First Aid, and AED Instructor.
Internal Number: PS657P
About Florida Gulf Coast University
Florida Gulf Coast University is about more than just basketball and beach time. “Dunk City,” as it became known nationwide during the FGCU men’s basketball team’s historic run in the 2013 NCAA Tournament, is a diverse community of more than 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students who are just as committed to hitting the books as hitting the campus lakeshore beach. In less than 20 years, FGCU has made an indelible impact on Southwest Florida. We are a catalyst for the area’s economy and a cultural hub for the community. Our students enjoy one of the highest graduate employment rates among the state’s universities. Our campus and region serve as a living laboratory from which life-improving discoveries emanate. And our sports teams energize the entire region. Inspiring those who inspire others — that’s The FGCU Effect.