American University is seeking a motivated and knowledgeable recreation professional to join our Recreational Sports & Fitness team. This individual will help manage and develop a comprehensive Competitive Sports program for our campus. Interested candidates must apply online through Human Resources at: https://careers.american.edu/Staff/go/Staff-Jobs/4280300/
This position is responsible for planning, organizing and evaluating all activities associated with the Intramural sports and assigned Club Sports program. The incumbent plans staff/official/student training's and meetings for the Intramural program and will supervise and evaluate student staff and officials. This position will assist the Assistant Director, Competitive Sports with overseeing all aspects of assigned club teams. This position will also assist in coordinating special events including scheduling facilities for the unit and informal recreation activities during the summer for the university community. The Coordinator will also assist with the supervision of the Sports Center complex, including the Jacobs and Cassell Fitness Centers.
The incumbent spends significant time training and developing a part time staff of 20-25 officials and supervisors each year. The incumbent will operate an intramural program with over 20 events of per academic year. In addition, over 1,700 students participate in the intramural program in a wide variety of events, leagues, tournaments and activities. The incumbent will oversee 2-4 club sport programs and be involved in the process and decision making of the overall program.
Regular office hours are 10:00am-6:00pm however, this position requires the ability to work mornings and regular evenings and weekends.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. (50% of time) Coordination and promotion of a comprehensive intramural sports program for the University community and expand competitive athletic opportunities as well as events promoting physical activity for students. This includes developing, promoting, implementing and evaluating events and activities; scheduling facilities for these events; hire, train, schedule, evaluate and supervise game officials, supervisors, and scorekeepers.
2. (15% of time) Supervise and direct some aspects of Club Sports, including setting and administering club criteria and policy, training club officers as to their duties and responsibilities, scheduling facilities as needed, and evaluating club activity
3. (15% of Time) Will act as Manager on Duty for the entire Sports Center or Cassell Fitness Center a minimum of two shifts a week in the summer and as needed during the semester.
4. (10% of time) Conduct and coordinate sports related special events. Provide opportunities for informal recreation to the campus community during the summer months.
5. (5% of time) Keep current with trends, certifications and knowledge in the campus recreation field. Demonstrate professional growth in program activities variety and quantity and levels of participation. Contribute to the profession outside the AU community through involvement in NIRSA
6. (5% of time) Serve as part of the Recreational Sports and Fitness professional staff and contribute to planning promoting, implementing and evaluating events and activities to further the mission of Recreational Sports & Fitness.
Bachelors Degree ( Masters Preferred)
1-3 years of relevant experience.
1 Year professional experience in a campus recreation setting (2 years as a graduate assistant will substitute for 1-year professional experience).
Internal Number: 13531
About American University
American University Recreational Sports and Fitness – American University is a private liberal arts university in Washington DC with just over 7000 undergraduates and a total of close to 13,000 students including graduate schools and the law school. With approximately 1,800 faculty and staff, the University offers full-time employees a complete insurance benefits package, a generous 2:1 matching retirement plan and tuition assistance program. Recreational Sports and Fitness is a unit of Athletics and Recreation. American University offers 19 NCAA Division I varsity sports and a wide variety of intramural and club sports offerings. Most facilities are located in or near the Sports Center. These include the Jacobs Fitness Center; the Reeves Aquatic Center, which is comprised of two swimming pools; Bender Arena, made up of four basketball/volleyball courts and adjacent outdoor facilities including an outdoor track, outdoor tennis and basketball courts. The Sports Center facilities are multi-use by design and provide space for Varsity Athletes, Intramurals, Club Sports, academic activity classes and group exercise classes as well as general student workouts and recreation. The Sports C...enter has approximately 10,000 members, including primarily students, with smaller groups of faculty, staff, alumni and community members, with daily average usage of 1,400-1,600 people. We also manage Cassell Fitness Center and Congressional Fitness Center. Cassell is approximately 8,000 square feet of fitness and multiple purpose studio space. Congressional is 1,000 square feet and primarily used for personal and small group training.