James Madison University Recreation (UREC) is now accepting applications from candidates planning to pursue a career and advanced degree in campus recreation.
JMU offers a Campus Recreation concentration in the Sport and Recreation Leadership Master’s program in the Hart School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management. Preference for these assistantships is given to those admitted to the Campus Recreation concentration. Applications for the Campus Recreation concentration are accepted on a rolling basis. The 2020-21 admission review will begin on December 1, 2019.
UREC is hiring for the following assistantship positions for the 2020-21 academic year, and applicants will have the opportunity to select their preference for placement:
GA for Aquatics & Safety
GA for Fitness & Group Exercise Programs
GA for Intramural Sports & Youth Programs
GA for Marketing & Social Media
GA for Member Services
Graduate Assistantships include enrollment in an academic program and involve 20 hours of work per week at UREC during the academic school year. In addition to the $8,224 stipend, positions include a tuition waiver, a $700 professional development stipend, and a $300 academic book or dining benefit.
- The Graduate Assistant for Aquatics and Safety will provide leadership and guidance for the Aquatics (LGIs, WSIs, and lifeguards) and Safety (EMT-B) Staff by: interviewing, orientating, supervising and evaluating all members of staff. This GA will aid in coordinating the Learn-to-Swim Program, implementing Dive-In movies, and teaching ARC Lifeguarding-CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer-First Aid Certification Classes.
- The Graduate Assistant for Fitness & Group Exercise will take on rotating leadership roles in the Fitness, Group Exercise, and Wellness program areas. Responsibilities will include supervision of student employees, staff training and continuing education, management of fitness & group exercise activity spaces, and general program design and administration.
- The Graduate Assistant for Intramural Sports and Youth Programs will coordinate team sport officials and site managers training, supervision and evaluation. This GA will provide leadership to the Intramural Sports site manager and officials student staffs. This GA will coordinate selected aspects of Intramural Sports and Youth Programs program planning and budget reconciliation.
- The Graduate Assistant for Marketing and Social Media will work to promote UREC. Responsibilities will include supervision of student marketing employees, managing marketing projects, facilitating marketing team staff meetings, and serving as an administrator for UREC Social Media. This GA will also create photo and video marketing content, including the End of the Year Video for the department.
- The Graduate Assistant for Member Services will provide leadership, co-supervision and staff development for the Member Services student staff. Responsibilities include hiring, training and evaluating over 55 student employees. This GA will assist in maintaining and managing the UREC Welcome Center and Equipment Center as well as the University Park Gatehouse. Other duties include assisting with equipment inventory, facility access, locker and towel service contracts, and memberships.
Facility supervision and operational responsibilities for the 278,515 sq/ft University Recreation Center and satellite facilities is required of all Graduate Assistants.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree and acceptance into graduate program (individuals may apply prior to admission, however, an individual must be accepted into a graduate program before an offer may be extended).
Applicants must apply on JMU Joblink. Please note that applications submitted on Bluefish or via email can not be considered.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.
About James Madison University Recreation
James Madison University is a four-year higher education institution located on 721 beautifully landscaped acres in Harrisonburg, VA, the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. JMU has a student enrollment of 20,855 and a staff of 2,694 full-time employees. In 1996, JMU opened a 140,700 square foot Recreation Center and in 2016, construction was completed for an addition and renovation to bring the building to 278,515 square feet. UREC offers the JMU community a comprehensive menu of recreational and educational opportunities. We have a dedicated student staff of over 500 along with 10 graduate assistants from around the country and 28 professional staff.
BACK TO TOP
Bluefishjobs.com is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else NIRSA has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at Bluefishjobs.com.