Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in outdoor education, experiential education, recreation, or related field from an accredited college or university required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum two years of experience administering outdoor recreation programs required (or two years Graduate Assistantship experience)
- Experience in a college campus environment is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience of the following:
- Hiring, training, evaluating and supervising staff
- Training students in topics including but not limited to outdoor technical skills, group dynamics, safety, environmental protection, and emergency response
- Leading groups in a variety of settings
- Experience with climbing wall and challenge course safety, staffing and operations
- Working knowledge of outdoor equipment maintenance
Licenses & Certifications Requirements
- American Red Cross CPR/AED and First Aid certification required (certifications may be obtained within first month of employment)
- American Red Cross CPR/AED and First-Aid instructor certification preferred
- Wilderness First Responder Certification required or ability to complete within first 6 months
- ACCT Challenge/Ropes Course Certification required or ability to complete within first 6 months
- Minimum 2 specialized outdoor advanced skills/certifications preferred (e.g. SPI, CWI, PCGI, AMGA, WEA, CWA)
- Must complete Gender Awareness, Computer Security, and Sexual Harassment Prevention for Supervisors trainings within 30 days of hire
- Must professionally represent the Associated Students and San Diego State University at all times
- Demonstrated success in managing and mentoring work teams of diverse functions, complying with organizational policies and procedures and managing and leading change within an organization
- Commitment to values of wellness, service, diversity, and sustainability
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate personal computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, experience using social media and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Ability to gather and organize data, draw logical conclusions and discern implications
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Must be self-motivated, self-starter and perform with minimal direction and supervision
- Ability to present a consistent positive approach to students and all internal and external contacts by being courteous, respectful, helpful and cooperative at all times
- Commitment to a high standard of safety and ability to communicate and train safety policies and procedures to staff
- Proven necessary supervisory skills and strong ability to lead and motivate student employees and volunteers
- Ability to interpret and communicate policies and procedures
- Ability to adapt to and work in an environment of constant change, growth and frequent interruptions
Compensation: $23.25 - $25.96 Per Hour
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a regular, full-time position. Flexibility and willingness to work irregular hours and days, including evenings, weekends and holidays as needed by program schedule.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of programs; programs may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work performed within an office environment will include standard office equipment. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens, precipitation, and other environmental risks.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include talking, listening, sitting, standing, walking, manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination, corrected vision, hearing to standard range and use of office equipment including but not limited to computers, printers, telephones, copiers, fax machines, and cameras.
Must have ability to carry 45% of your body weight in a backpack for long periods of time. Must be sufficiently fit to participate in all sites and logistics related to outdoor activities and maintain ample energy, strength and focus to aid students and instructors. When on trips, on feet most day, sometimes for long hours. When driving, must be able to focus on safe driving for extended periods.
Depending on program requirements, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 40 pounds.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Assistant Director of Competitive Sports and Outdoor Programs
- Program Assistants
- Climbing Program Lead
- Climbing Wall Supervisors
- Team Challenge/Ropes Course Lead
- Team Challenge Facilitators
- ENS Class Instructors
- Coordinates with Building Services staff for facility maintenance and needs
- Coordinates with Member Services staff for program registration
- Coordinates with Recreation Marketing Coordinator and A.S. Graphics staff
- Works with other part-time and full-time Aztec Recreation staff
- Works with A.S. Business Services staff
Outside the Organization:
- Works collaboratively and communicates with various University departments and personnel
- Networks with other university programs, professional organizations and community entities to stay current with outdoor and recreation industries as well as new programming ideas and trends for college students
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Full-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt, Grade 5
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.