Graduate Assistants (Adventure, Aquatics/Facilities and Fitness)
ECU Campus Recreation and Wellness
Location: Greenville, North Carolina
Type: Part Time
4 Year Degree
3 openings available.
ECU Campus Recreation and Wellness is seeking three Graduate Assistants (Adventure, Aquatics/Facilities and Fitness) for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Dates of Employment: August 1, 2023-May 3, 2024. This is typically a two year position based on academic requirements and successful evaluation after the first year of employment.
Compensation: Full NC Resident tuition and fees plus a stipend of $10,500 annually for an average of 25hrs/wk. Out of state residents are responsible for the difference in tuition cost. Funding is available for professional development including travel and certifications.
Academic Requirement: Full admission into the ECU Graduate program of your choice. Please visit the ECU Graduate School webpage here of more information. Nine academic credits per semester must be maintained.
In a commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion all CRW Graduate Assistants will:
Actively contribute as a staff member of CRW and the Division of Student Affairs to uphold the framework of equity and social justice.
Advocate for awareness, understanding and the diversity and inclusion of all people in CRW facilities, programs and communications while providing a commitment to work effectively with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Advocate for the educational and cultural benefits of providing diversity and inclusion in CRW.
To apply for this posting please send a cover letter, resume and list of three professional references to Assistant Director of Adventure Leadership AJ Rimes at email@example.com. Priority application deadline: January 15, 2023.
The Adventure Graduate Assistant is expected to fulfill the following general responsibilities:
Organize, schedule, supervise, lead and evaluate trips offered by Adventure Leadership.
Schedule and administer comprehensive low and high ropes Team Training courses.
Market and develop Team Training packages to include recruitment of corporate groups.
Ensure adherence to departmental safety/risk management procedures.
Market, organize, develop, adventure clinics and trips for on & off campus groups.
Assist with the recruitment, training, scheduling, supervision, and evaluation of student staff in adventure and team training activities.
Maintain accurate statistical records related to participation, budget, and equipment inventory.
Assist with the supervision and evaluation of undergraduate practicum and internship students placed in the department.
Assist in the promotion of campus recreation events and activities.
Assist in the assessment of campus recreation programs through various research tools.
Coordinate and communicate departmental programs and services to designated student representative groups.
Assist in the development of student leaders within Team Training & Adventure.
Utilize computer and web-based programs to coordinate activities.
Serve on departmental/divisional committees.
Complete other duties as assigned.
To apply for this posting please send a cover letter, resume and list of three professional references to Associate Director of Facilities and Operations Dana Lopez at firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority application deadline: January 31, 2023.
The Aquatics/Facilities Graduate Assistant is expected to fulfill the following general responsibilities:
Assist in the student selection process & complete on-boarding process for selected candidates, supervision, and evaluation for the CRW Facility Managers and Lifeguards.
Provide facility supervision in the absence of full-time staff at CRW facilities.
Assist with administration of a site supervision plan incorporating facility managers, lifeguards, and other student staff members.
Assist with facility management with an emphasis on large events such as organization fairs, tournaments, etc.
Monitor website and social media to increase visibility of facilities and aquatics/safety.
Promote CRW facilities, aquatics and safety services through print, electronic, and personal contact (i.e. newsletters, website, open houses, etc.) in a professional manner.
Assist with the CRW assessment administration process to report student engagement.
Assist with the scheduling/reservations, record keeping and logistical planning of intramural sports, club sports, fitness/group fitness programs, EXSS, Kinesiology, special events, ECU community and Greenville community events that take place at CRW facilities.
Assist with administration of Safety Services programs, record keeping and documentation, and departmental risk management.
Assist in project management of assigned projects for CRW facilities including locker clearance, inventory and equipment management, lost and found.
Professional Development: Participate in activities that will enhance the graduate assistant’s skills and preparation towards future
Attend meetings and participate in workshops held by ECU and Student Affairs.
Serve on various committees as assigned and benchmark with other programs.
Training and utilization of expected software including but not limited to Connect2, Whentowork, 25Live, Microsoft Teams and Innosoft Fusion.
Monitor shift reports and feedback to Facility Manager staff
To apply for this posting please send a cover letter, resume and list of three professional references to Assistant Director of Fitness Kate Freed at email@example.com. Priority application deadline: January 31, 2023.
The Fitness Graduate Assistant is expected to fulfill the following general responsibilities:
• Collaborate with Assistant Director of Fitness, Sr. Assistant Director of Fitness & Employee Well-Being, Director of Well-Being, Campus Recreation and Wellness team members, and student employees/interns to create a culture of well-being by offering world-class movement experiences and events.
• Recruit, onboard, schedule, and evaluate multiple part-time student and contracted group fitness instructors, personal trainers, small group training coaches, fitness attendants, program managers, and interns in a multi-site organization.
• Provide onsite support and management, including daily operations of a comprehensive movement & exercise program including group fitness, personal training, small group training, online training, general fitness, and special events for a multi-site location.
• Conduct regular walkthroughs, update technology platforms, build rapport with staff by supporting them while on shift, and serve as a liaison between part-time and full-time staff.
• Provide recommendations for program purchases and updates policy, procedures, and guidelines in accordance with standards of care and fitness facility guidelines.
• Assist with marketing, assessment, risk management and technology.
• Serve as a teaching assistant for the ACE Group Fitness Instructor Academy and/or ACE Personal Training Prep Course>
• Teach various land and aquatic based group fitness classes on an as needed basis.
• Design and implement personalized exercise programs for clients both in-person and in online environments.
• Evaluate data and provide regular reports on all aspects of the fitness program.
• Deliver and present well-being related topics to constituents on and off campus.
• Develop and nurture relationships with campus and community stakeholders.
• Represent the ECU community on local and regional health related committees/organizations.
• Provide support and collaboration to colleagues delivering public health content and programs including alcohol & other drugs, mental health & stress management, sexual health & healthy relationships, nutrition & body image, and overall well-being.
• Continue professional development through membership in professional organizations, attending and presenting at conferences and workshops, professional reading, and staying current with trends and issues pertinent to well-being. Contribute to scholarly articles, blogs, and publications.
• Other duties as assigned.
Please note funding for these positions are contingent upon the continued availability of auxiliary funds.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution Current American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid certification or willingness to obtain Availability to work nights and weekends
East Carolina University, founded in 1907, is a public university and a member of the UNC system serving over 29,000 students. ECU is a progressive doctoral-granting institution with the feel of a small college. Programs are offered through the College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Schools of Allied Health Sciences, Art, Business, Education, Health and Human Performance, Human Environmental Sciences, Industry and Technology, Medicine, Music, Nursing, and Social Work. Its 392-acre main campus and 46-acre medical campus are located in Greenville, NC.